Wednesday, February 23, 2011

One of each soup + coriander seeds+ coconut= kodilu

I started this blog with the intention of posting all the recipes I received from the recipe exchange. The intent was good, that is my story and I am sticking to it. One of the other recipes I received was called 'One of each soup'. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/One-of-Each-Soup-105905.

Needless to say I did not follow the recipe exactly.
Banana in a soup? I am not that brave, but brave enough to add a cooking plantain.
Celery -Didn't have any. So I added extra Garlic
Butter and cream - Way too rich for me; so leave it out

and needless to say

There were not many takers for the soup.

When your soup falls flat, make it into kodilu. 'Kodilu' is a dish from the  spice coast of India; a stew with Coconut and roasted spices. To turn your soup into kothilu, this is what you have to do
 2 Tbsp coriander seeds
1/8th tsp methi/fenugreek seeds
4-6  dried red chillies
1/4 c dessicated coconut
3/4 tsp of tamarind concentrate

 Roast the first three ingredients with a smidgen of oil till the seeds turn a couple of shades darker and you can smell the spices.
Turn off the heat and add the coconut. Continue to stir . The coconut will get lightly toasted.
Blend these to a fine paste adding water as necessary.

Add this blend and the tamarind to the soup and simmer gently.

Serve the kothilu over rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe