Thursday, March 1, 2012

Spicy (pea)nut butter


I am an expert at creating work for myself. The goal was noble- to get my children to eat a Nut Butter  sandwich. Satays are ok, Peanut sauce on noodles is ok, but I was told a PBJ is normal and boring.   So I made it less boring.. Yes I spiced it up. Now...they  will eat nut butter, but only if it is homemade.. I have created monsters.


3 cups dry roasted peanuts (unsalted)
1/2 c toasted sesame seeds
3 dried Poblano chillies
4 - 6 dried ancho chillies
1 tsp  Kashmiri Laal Mirch  ( use a mild paprika, I added this more for the color factor)

1 tsp  canola (or peanut ) oil.
Smidgen of salt (or to taste)


 Put all the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse, scrape down the sides and repeat.  Have patience. You have to do this in small pulses. The  nuts will release their oil and start forming a paste. This takes me anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. When you get to the stage where you can't process the nut clump any further, add the oil. Give it a couple more pulses and the butter will smoothen out. Add a smidgen of salt and pulse again. Taste and adjust the salt.

This makes  two 8 ounce jars and will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks ( I haven't tested it beyond that).

We have had it on toast, in a sandwich with some marmalade, as a dip for sliced cucumber and as a spread on rice cakes.

I am now dreaming up of a walnut butter blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe