Thursday, February 5, 2015

Apricot and peanut butter muffins

Full disclosure:I am pretty sure I can't recreate this recipe. The stars  have to align just so: I must manage to procure a 20lb box of apricots then roast and freeze them. I must also visit Champoeg state park next year and procure those tiny apples; then maybe, just maybe I might just be able to recreate this again.
So I have to start at the beginning. Muffins have become favorite breakfast food in the house - because it is quick and easy. Last week it was banana chocolate chip muffins. This week the guilt came in and the muffins had to be health-ier. So out came the bag of whole wheat flour and oats. And what I had at home was apple butter made from those tiny apples I picked and frozen roasted apricot puree.

These muffins not overly sweet and a lovely tang from the apricots.

1/3 c peanut butter
1/2 c apple butter (made from Preserving by the pint)
1/2 c roasted apricot puree (halve apricots and roast in a 275 deg oven until soft)
2/3 c sugar
1 c soy milk (or other milk)

1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c all purpose flour
1/2 c old fashioned oats
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder.


Whisk the peanut butter with the apple butter, apricot puree, sugar and milk in a large bowl. Sift the dry indgredients into the bowl. Mix until just moistened. Scoop into a standard muffin tin and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Dear niece- wish I had your patience. My only hope of consuming these gems is when I visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love that visit. It has been promised for too long now.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe