Saturday, November 28, 2015

Pumpkin seed pate'

Thanksgiving has to be my favorite holiday. People curiously ask me if I do a traditional Thanksgiving. I don't know how to answer that question with a straight face. I tell them there is going to be yams, potatoes,cranberries,Brussels sprouts and pumpkin pie. But ...
the yams are not candied, the potatoes are not mashed, the Brussels sprouts have an Agave ginger glaze and the main dish is not a turkey. I have started referring to this version as the heathen Thanksgiving. My friends with whom we celebrate the holiday refereed to it as the "Indian Thanksgiving" and that had me in splits.

This year we had Biriyani, stir fried yams and parsnips, green beans, rosemary roasted potatoes and cranberry relish.Everything on the table was in these warm earth shades. the pumpkin pate stood out because of its vibrant green color. I made this with ingredients that I had in my pantry and am noting it in hopes that I will remember to make it again. 

2015 has so far been a year with ups and downs, a wedding and a funeral. There is so much to be thankful for - the love of family and friends, teenage boys that are growing up with a sense of humor, a 11 year old dog that keeps me active..
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. 


Pumpkin seed pate' 
1 cup hulled pumpkin seeds(Pepitas) soaked in 2 cups of water
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon kasuri methi
salt to taste(1/4 tsp or more)
Olive oil
Aleppo pepper for garnishing

Soak the pumpkin seeds in water for at least 2 hours( or overnight). Drain the seeds well. Put the drained seeds, garlic and kasuri methi in a blender or food processor. Pulse until the seeds breakdown. Stop the machine, scrape down the sides and repeat. Pulse until the seeds start to release oil. At this point add about a tablespoon of olive oil and a 1/4 tsp of salt. Pulse again. The mixture should come together. Empty into a serving bowl and garnish with some Aleppo pepper. Serve with crackers and veggies.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe