Thursday, January 4, 2018

Quick and easy creamy cauliflower soup

Happy New Year everyone. I hope you all had a relaxing holiday. We spent a week getting pampered by my little sis, playing with the little cousins  and visiting the battle sites of the civil war. I made my first gingerbread house ever with my niece and nephew (from a kit). It takes a lot of frosting to hold the house together! Eating the gingerbread house and the leftover decorations was  more fun for the kids. I made them brush their teeth afterward, in case you are reading dear sis. We baked sugar cookies and I let my niece and nephew eat as much as they wanted becoming cool aunt in their eyes.  And my sister fed us - Dosa, Idli, Pav Bhaji, Dal, Usli, Bhindi masala and tondekai palya - this is just a partial list. I think we ate her out of the house.
Now it is back and some minor resolutions to eat well - nah who am I kidding, we got goodies galore from Bangalore. We will eat soup and assuage our guilt.

 You can make home made soup in 15 minutes - no instant pot, just operational efficiency. I whipped up this soup yesterday when the big cousins came over. I didn't cook the vegetables in stock or water. I just steamed  and cooked in a smidgen of oil. This made transferring to the blender much easier and far less clean up. And it is a healthy, filling, creamy soup that warms you up and makes you feel rather virtuous too.
Do seek out white pepper for this recipe. It adds a fruity delicate  aroma that is very different from black pepper.

Creamy Cauliflower soup 
1 red onion
1.5 tsp of oil
1 head of cauliflower
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp whole white pepper corns
6 sun dried tomato halves not in oil. If using oil packed, drain the oil
a small handful of raw almonds
salt to taste

Chop the onion into slices or chunks. Heat the oil in a tall saucepan that has a lid. Add the onions, turn the flame to medium, add a tiny pinch of salt and close the lid allowing the onions to sweat.

While the onion is cooking, clean the head of cauliflower, Take out the dried leaves and chop into big pieces - stem and all. Peel the garlic.  Put the cauliflower and the garlic in a microwave safe bowl, add a splash of water, cover with a lid and cook until tender but not mushy. It took me 6 mins in my microwave on full power.

The onions should be done by now. Tip the onions and cauliflower into a blender. Add the sun dried tomatoes, white pepper and almonds  and blend. Add water as required to keep the blades running.
Empty blender content  into the saucepan you used to cook the onions and add water to dilute to desired consistency. Heat on medium flame until heated through, Season to taste with salt.

Top with toasted almonds and a swirl of pesto. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe